University of Mumbai is one of the oldest and premier Universities in India. It was established in 1857 consequent upon “Wood’s Education Dispatch”, and it is one among the first three Universities in India. The profile of this University carved out in more than 150 years of its functioning attests to its manifold achievements as the intellectual and moral powerhouse of the society. The University has always given its best to the country in general and to the city of Mumbai in particular by producing great leaders and eminent personalities in the world. It has been granted a Five Star status by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
University Of Mumbai Law Academy (UMLA), a constituent unit of the University of Mumbai, established in the year 2015, is a world class institution, to provide excellent quality legal education as well as look after the overall development of students. UMLA is committed to produce exceptional Lawyers and legal luminaries within the realms of knowledge. UMLA strives for academic excellence, yet maintaining high standards in all extra-curricular activities and develop student’s talents through exposure to moots, communication and soft skills, compulsory summer internships, debates, managerial entrepreneurship, etc. UMLA aims to encourage students to bring about social change through legal awareness and social activism.
To establish International standards in the field of legal education and build professionals who will excel at all competitive platforms in the Legal, social & Corporate sector.
UMLA is committed to churn out atypical, motivated, well-equipped and ideal Professionals, shaping into legal and corporate luminaries of the future, who can be decorous and suited at varied sectors of the society at large.
OUR BELIEF AND VALUES:
1) We at UMLA, firmly believe in adorning the future legal luminaries with efficient advocacy skills and enriching them with experience that goes beyond the classroom teaching.
2) We believe in imparting lectures which involve active student participation through group discussions, case laws and problem solving methods that help students to get a firm practical grip on the subject that instills confidence in these budding lawyers of tomorrow.
3) We work towards catering to the current and future professional needs of the society by armoring students with skills that go a long way in carving a bench mark for professional excellence.
This Unique Heritage Building, housing the University Library and Rajabai Clock Tower (that rises to a height of 280 feet) above it, is unique amongst the beautiful buildings of Mumbai. This building was built when Premchand Roychand, a merchant prince of Bombay (August, 1864,), offered to the University a donation of Rs. 200,000 towards the erection of a university library. The students of University OF Mumbai Law Academy have access to this unique heritage library.
STUDENT TRAVEL CONCESSION
Long & Short Railway Journey Concession as per rules and procedure of Indian Railways and University of Mumbai.
Compulsory 75% attendance to appear for all exams.
Law School uniform : Formal white shirt and black pants with black shoes Blazers compulsory for moot courts and college events.
UMLA SEMESTER TERMS AND TIMINGS:
Term I : 1st July 2016 to 31st December 2016
Term II : 1st January 2017 to 31st May 2017
PROCEDURE FOR IMPOSING PUNITIVE ACTION
As per the rules and regulations of the University.
UNIVERSITY OF MUMBAI LAW ACADEMY
209, 2nd Floor, Fort Campus,
M.G. Road, Mumbai,
+91 (22) 2270 8725
Web Url: unls.edu.in
Post Graduate Diploma Course
6 Months Certificate Course In Clinical Legal Education Advocacy Skills
A candidate passing the H.S.C. (10+2) examination conducted by the Maharashtra State Board Of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education, with minimum 45% marks or any other examination recognized as equivalent thereto by the University of Mumbai with the minimum prescribed marks is eligible for admission to the First Year of Five Year Law Course. The above percentage of marks shall be relaxed by 5% for candidates belonging to the SC, ST and 3% for the OBC, categories recognized as such by the Government of Maharashtra.
The admissions to UNLS shall be based on merit in the Maharashtra State Common Law Entrance Test [MHCET-Law].
Admission process for the first year of the Five year B.B.A. LLB (Hons.) course will commence immediately after the declaration of MHCET-Law results. Reservation for 85% seats for candidate from the state of Maharashtra having the domicile certificate. The Prospectus and the registration forms will be available at the UMLA college office. The Registration form can also be downloaded from the website. The Registration form along with the required documents, duly filled in, should be submitted to the college within the prescribed time. Thereafter, merit list of the selected candidates will be displayed on the notice board or declared on the UNLS website.
ADMISSION TO POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN CLINICAL LEGAL EDUCATION & ADVOCACY SKILLS
Any under graduate or graduate passing the examination conducted by the recognized board or University, with minimum 45% marks or any other examination recognized as equivalent thereto by the University of Mumbai with the minimum prescribed marks is eligible for admission to Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Legal Education & Advocacy Skills.
ADMISSION TO CERTIFICATE COURSE IN CLINICAL LEGAL EDUCATION & ADVOCACY SKILLS
Any under graduate or graduate passing the examination conducted by the recognized board or University, with minimum 45% marks or any other examination recognized as equivalent thereto by the University of Mumbai, with the minimum prescribed marks is eligible for admission to Certificate Course in Clinical Legal Education & Advocacy Skills.
The matter of reservation for candidates falling within the categories of S.C., S.T., O.B.C., S.B.C., etc. is in accordance with the relevant Government Resolutions issued by the State of Maharashtra.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR ADMISSION PROCESS
1. Original Copies of Marksheet, Passing Certificate and School & College Leaving Certificate
2. Three recent passport size photographs.
3. In case of students migrating from other Universities, Provisional Eligibility Certificate from the Mumbai University must be submitted. Application for eligibility is to be made to the Registrar, Mumbai University in the prescribed form along with prescribed fees through college office.
4. In case of students, from other colleges affiliated to the Mumbai University, who seeks admission, Transfer Certificate (T.C.) is required to be submitted. The applications for such T.C. should be sent through this college in the prescribed form.
5. Foreign students seeking admission should produce his/her passport and student visa at the time of admission. Tourist Visas or Entry Visas will not be considered as proper documents in this regard.
6. At the time of admission, every student must undertake to attend a minimum 75% of the total number of lectures held in each semester. Failure to comply with the same shall result in such defaulting students getting debarred from the examination and taking necessary action.
Fees Structure –
Integrated B.B.A.-LL.B. Course for each year
Amount in Rs.
|Eligibility & Enrollment||
|E-Charges, IT & ITES||
Students will have to pay additional below mentioned fees in cash in the office:
A. Library Deposit : Rs. 1500
B. Caution Money : Rs. 500
C. Examination Fees Per Semester : Rs. 1260/-
Mode of Payment:
The fee is payable by Demand Draft in favour of ‘The Finance and Accounts officer, University of Mumbai’.
REFUND OF FEE POLICY :
As per the rules laid down by the University of Mumbai.
Syllabus for Integrated Course
REVISED NEW SYLLABUS*
INTEGRATED FIVE YEARS B.B.A. LL.B. (Hons.) COURSE (w.e.f. the Academic Year 2016-17)
SEMESTER- I CREDITS
PAPER –I English (Legal Language & Legal Writing) 4
PAPER –II Principles of Management 4
PAPER –III Principles of Basic Accountancy 4
PAPER –IV Law of Contract I & Specific Relief Act 4
PAPER –V Constitutional Law I 4
PAPER – VI Elective
Law of Torts including Consumer Protection Act 4
Law of Torts including Motor Vehicle Act
SEMESTER- II CREDITS
PAPER –I Statistical Analysis 4
PAPER –II Costs & Management Accounts 4
PAPER –III Human Resource Management 4
PAPER –IV Constitutional Law II 4
PAPER –V Special Contract 4
PAPER –VI Practical Paper (Elective)
Clinical Legal Education – I (Alternate Dispute Resolution) 4
*Subject to revision by University authorities from time to time
· Prof. ( Dr.) Ashok R. Yende, ( Director),
B.A.; B.Sc., M.A.(P.A.), M.A.(G.T.), D.I.T., LL.M., Ph.D.(Law)
· Prof. Sameena Hasan J., Faculty & Coordinator, M.Sc. (Tech.), LL.M.
· Prof. Mahesh N. N. Sawant, B.A., LL.B., M.B.A. (H.R)]
· Prof.( Dr.) Arvind Dhond, [ B. Lib.I.Sc; M.Com; M.A.; M.Sc; MFM; M.B.A; M.M.S;
M.L.M; M.S.W; M.P.S; G.D.C. & A; D.B.M; P.G.D.F.M; CPCM; MS-CIT; M.Phil; NET; Ph.D.
· Prof. Kishu Daswani, LL.M
· Prof. (Adv.) A. A. Kazi, B.Sc., B.Ed., LL.M.
· Adv. Eknath Sawant, B.Sc.; B.A.M., Dip. IR & P.M.; LL.M.
· Prof. Ashish Pawaskar, M.Com.,LL.M., M.M.S.
· Prof. Sheetal Kumar Setia, B.A.; LL.M.
· Prof. Prosper D’Souza, B.A, LL.M.
· Prof. Jaydeep Manjeshwar, B.Sc.(Maths.); B.Sc.(Stats.); DMS M.M.M.
· Adv. Mukta Mahajani, LL.M. (Harvard)
· Adv. Pooja Dutta, LL.M. ( U.S.A.)
· Adv. (Dr.) Rajendra Anbhule, LL.M., Ph.D.
· Prof. Shomit Salunkhe, B.L.S.; LL.M.; SET
· Prof. Faizal Memon, B.Com.; M.M.S., M.B.A.
· Adv. Kamaljit Singh, B.A.; LL.M.
. Adv. Mallika Taly, LL. M. ( NUJS, Kolkatta)
Post-Graduate Diploma Course Coordinators:
. Adv. Priyanka Patil, LL.M., D.M.J.
. Mr. Hussain Ali Chandrani, B.Sc., LL.B.