In 1886, Sir Pherozeshah Mehta and Justice Triambak Telang voted a motion in the Senate of the University of Bombay to introduce French language and literature as a subject at the Bachelor of Arts. In 1964, University of Bombay started a Foreign Languages Department. An independent Department of French was created in 1993.
French is one of the first foreign languages to be taught in India. Established in 1964, the Department is one of the few departments in the country to specialize in French as well as francophone literature. In 2005, the Department started its first Under Graduate programme in French Studies at the University. This course is specially designed to cater to students who are interested in specializing in French language, literature and culture.Â They can choose from a wide variety of subjects: Â art, history, tourism, business French, literature, translation and contemporary French society. Moreover, the course also makes provision for the students to take up one additional foreign language (Italian/Spanish/German/Arabic).
Our department strives to recreate a FrenchÂ ambianceÂ in an Indian context through courses in French language, literature and culture at the Under Graduate and Post Graduate level. Also, training in language skills (oral and written) is offered through Certificate Diploma, Advanced Diploma courses in French (one year duration). Â Masters and Doctoral programmes (French) are also offered. Interdisciplinary and comparative research are the thrust areas.
Ranade Bhavan, Room No. 19,
Ground Floor, Vidyanagari Campus,
Kalina, Santacruz (E),
Mumbai – 400 098.
Email : email@example.com
11.00 a.m. to 01.00 p.m.
01.30 p.m. to 3.30 p.m.
- Entrance Exams
Entrance Exam Schedule of Full time & part time courses
- Part Time Course in French 2019-20
Notice for diploma and advanced diploma in French
Notice for Part time courses
Part Time Courses in French – Instructions & Application Form
- M.A. in French 2019-20
Preparatory Course in French 2019-20
MA French 2019-20
- B.A. in French Studies 2019-20
BA French Studies 2019-20
For more details of above courses Contact : Department of French, Ranade Bhavan, ‘B’Wing, Gr. Floor, Room 15, Vidyanagari, Santacruz (E), Mumbai – 400 098.
|Faculty Name:||Dr.Vasumathi Badrinathan|
|Qualifications:||MPhil (University of Franche-Comté, France), PhD (University of Lille 3, France)|
|Faculty Name:||Dr. Vidya Vencatesan|
|Qualifications:||M Phil , PhD (Paris 3, La Sorbonne Nouvelle)|
|Faculty Name:||Mrs. Tasneem Azmi|
|Qualifications:||M.A French, M.A English Literature, Ma’trise FLE|
|Name||Ms. Bharati Prakash Gaikwad|
|Designation||Jr. Typist Clerk|
|Name||Mr. Arun Govind Pawar|
Interdisciplinary Research is one of the specializations of the Department of French. Introduction to research methodology as well as a dissertation are part of the M.A. (French) curriculum. Besides, research can be pursued at the department leading to Ph.D. and even post-doctoral studies. Research done at the Department is aided by a Departmental Library as well as computer facility with access to JSTOR and other e journals and book. The thrust areas are didactics of French (FLE), comparative literature
Students have won prestigious scholarships to pursue higher studies abroad. Some of them are listed below:
- The French Embassy Assistante d’Anglais programme gives students a unique opportunity to discover France and teach English there at the school level for a period of 7 months.
- The Lion’s Club and Rotary club cultural exchange programmes offer students the possibility of spending a few weeks in France discovering both the country and the culture besides perfecting their linguistic skills.
- The University for Foreigners of Siena offers students of Italian at the University of Mumbai 3 scholarships of 1 month duration each.
- The Embassy of Spain offers one scholarship of 1 month duration open to students of Spanish at the University of Mumbai
- Erasmus Mundus scholarships to study Master CLE.
Des Indes à l’Inde: perceptions transculturelles par Vidya Vencatesan, Synergies Inde 8, 2019
Glottopol No 30, 2018
D’autres mondes, French translation of Lava and Tarkash by Shri Javed Akhtar, renowned Urdu poet by Professor Vidya Vencatesan, Editions Janus, Paris, 2014
- Cheminements poétiques, littéraires et touristiques dans l’Inde historique et contemporaine par Vidya Vencatesan, Synergies Inde 6 2013
- Retrouvailles Camusiennes par Vidya Vencatesan, Synergies Inde 5, 2010
- De l’orientalisme à l’humanisme en crise : Ponts entre l’Inde et la France par Vidya Vencatesan et Philippe Benoît, Synergies Inde 4, 2009
Student’s achievements – 2014-2015
Sowmya Srikrishna and Vaijayanthi Jangannathan :
- Students participated in Exchange Programme between University of Mumbai and Paris 3, la Sorbonne Nouvelle, Paris from September 2014 to January 2015
- Awarded research fellowship by the Embassy of France in India in November 2014
Centre International Francophone des Lions Club
- Tannavee Korgaokar : Centre international francophone de l’environment (CISE)
- Mrunmaee Kore : Centre international francophone de la patrimoine (CIST)
- Sayli Dabholkar: La sagess et d’etre sure quand des circonstences ont val la peine:
- Anuja Padwal,Siena
- Nityanand Poojari, Siena
- Aarthi chandru,Perguia
- Pallavi Chalkar ,Genova
- Mrunmayee Kadam , Genova
- Saloni Gandhi,Siena
- Saloni Gandhi,Siena
- Vaijayanthi Jagannathan ,Perugia
- Iram Quazi,Perugia
- Amruta Kadam,Perugia
- Amey Mathkar, Siena
- Jsmine Nadar, Perugia
- Ajay Kamalakaran ,Siena
- Komala Devarajan
- Pooja Desai
- Vaijayanthi Jagannathan
- Aditee Padsalgikar
- Radhika Das
- Jyothsana Venkateswar
Publication : Synergies Inde.