The Department of English was established in 1962 and is one of the oldest language departments in the University of Mumbai.
Since, its inception the Department has played an important role in establishing relevant specializations such as English Language Teaching, American Literature, Gender Studies, Politics Ideology and English Studies.
The Department has now set forth to project itself as a Centre of Excellence and introduced two specialized Honours programmes in addition to its regular M.A. Programme. The M.Phil. programme has also been re-vamped to include courses such as writing for the media, creative writing and translation studies.
The Department has a Library-cum-Media Centre, an Audio-Visual Room and a Seminar room.
Special Activities of the Department
1. An English Language Teaching Cell has been instituted in the Department since 1995, aimed at initiating extra-curricular English courses to upgrade levels of English in the University and outside.
2. An Academic Links Programme has been initiated between this Department and
(a) The Otto-von-Guericke University of Magdeburg, Germany
(b) Queen Mary College, University of London, U.K.
(c) The Open University, Milton Keynes, U.K.
(d) University of the Fraser Valley, B.C. Canada
in the field of Post Colonial Literatures in English, Contemporary Literary
Theories and Diaspora Studies.
These links involve faculty and/or student exchange, as well as joint
research projects and research guidance.
3. The Writer-in-Residence Programme: This programme has been sponsored by the British Council, Mumbai from the academic year 2005-06 onwards and will enable British Writers to spend two months at the Department, where they will give lectures and conduct workshops in Creative Writing.
4. Short-Term Self-Financing Courses:
(a) Voice Culture and Verbal Communication
(b) American Culture and Accent Training
(c) Business English Skills.
5. Memorial Lecture – G.C. Bannerjee Memorial Lecture
1. M.A. in English Revised.
2. M.A. Honours in English Studies.
3. M. A. Honours in English and Cultural Studies.
4. M. Phil in English.
5. Ph. D. in English
6. Certificate Course in Business English Skills.
ADMISSION AND ELIGIBILITY : For M.A. Course.
(A) For Graduate of Mumbai University / Other Universities:
Those who have obtained the B. A. degree in the Mumbai University or a Corresponding degree of any other University recognized as equivalent thereto, are eligible for admission to the M.A. course in English in the Department of English on Payment of prescribed fees, provided always that the question of granting admission will be at the discretion of the faculty of the Department.
(i) As a rule, admission to the M.A. with English shall be confined only to those students who have passed the B.A(Special) in English and have obtained at least 50% of marks (55% in the case of graduate from other Indians Universities)in the six papers in English.
(ii) Students who have offered at least three papers in English Literature carrying 300marks are also eligible for admission to the M.A. part-I course in English. However, preference will be given to students with six papers.
(iii) Students who have passed the B.A. degree examination without the minimum required number of papers in English, or any other under-graduate degree such as the B.Com. or B.Sc. will be considered as faculty change students will have to appear for an ENTRANCE TEST conducted by this Department.
ADMISSION AND ELIGIBILITY: For M.Phil / Ph.D.
Eligibility criteria for admission to the M.Phil. course will be as per the guidelines issued by the University of Mumbai for admission to M.Phil./ Ph. D. Courses and University rules regarding Reserved Category Candidates. In addition to the above criteria there will also be a personal interview for the selection of students to the course.
M.A (Part -I) : Rs.2,496/- Yearly
M.A (Part-II) : Rs.1,621/ Yearly
M.Phil : Rs.2,696/- Yearly
Ph. D. : Rs.2,641/- Yearly
Certificate Course in Business English Skill : Rs.6000/- Per course.
(The Tuition fees for foreign students for M.A./ M.Phil & Ph.D. Courses is five
times the fees chargeable to Indian students.)
1) Government of India
2) Merit Scholarship
3) Minority Student’s Scholarship
International Students : Three [(i) M.A.: 2 students, (ii) Ph.D.: 1 student]
|Name:- Dr. Rajesh Karankal
Designation :- Head, Department of English
|Name:- Dr. Shivaji D. Sargar
Email:- firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
|Name:- Dr. Ms. Bhagyashree S. Varma
Designation :- Associate Professor
Email:- firstname.lastname@example.org ,
|Name:- Shri. Sachin Labade
Designation :- Assistant Professor
Nobile No:- 9604694434 9619915689.
- Mrs. Deepa Dasharath Sawant – Head Clerk
- Mr. Bhagwat Shivaji Bhosale :Junior. Typist Clerk
- Mrs. Sangeeta Anant Sontate : Junior Typist Clerk
- Mr. Vinod mahadev Mahadik : Peon
- Mrs. Bharati C. Kadam : Peon
Temporary Administrative Staff
- Ms. Rupali Dinanath Palyekar – Temp. Junior Typist Clerk
- Mr. Yogesh Kanu Mane : Temp. Peon